Drug & Alcohol Policy
FOR ALL EXTRACURRICULAR ACTIVITIES
1. During the season (first day of practice to the last day of competition or until uniform/equipment is accounted for) a student- athlete or activities participant will not manufacture, distribute, possess, procure, or use illegal drugs or controlled substances, alcohol or tobacco products. Possession means having physical possession.
A. Clubs/Activities will use the following ending dates per "season".
Fall - December 21st Winter - March 21st Spring - June 21st
2. Reports of a violation (from above) coming from: a district employee, an adult acting as a chaperone, a law enforcement officer or agency, or a parent/legal guardian of a student involved in an alleged violation, will be investigated.
A. Reports of alleged violations from persons other than those mentioned above must be submitted by the person witnessing the incident. Such report will then be given consideration by the Building Principal and/or Director of Athletics.
Responses to Violation
Upon determination that a violation has occurred, the student shall be removed from participation in any and all extracurricular and/or interscholastic activities for a period of four (4) weeks. The student will be reinstated after two (2) weeks of the suspension if the student provides documentation/verification of attendance at a voluntary session for substance abuse prevention education.
- Suspension will begin the day school district personnel determine that a violation has occurred.
Upon determination of a second violation, the student will be removed from participation in any and all extracurricular and/or interscholastic activities for the remainder of the current season and the ensuing season. (i.e. 2nd violation occurs during football, the student must sit out winter season. If 2nd violation occurs during softball, the student must sit out fall season. See 1A)
- Students will not be allowed to earn any awards or attend the awards ceremony.
- Upon report of an alleged violation or if the student admits a violation has occurred, the Building Principal and/or Director of Athletics shall provide verbal notice to the student and his/her parent(s)/guardian(s) that an investigation of the alleged violation is/has been taking place. The reasons for the investigation and the possibility of suspension or removal from the activity will be included in the notice.
- The student and his/her parent(s)/guardian(s) will meet the Principal, Director of Athletics, Assistant Principal and other staff, as appropriate, within two (2) school days following the initial notification. Those attending will be given the opportunity to submit additional information or explanation of the alleged violation.
- The Principal, Director of Athletics, Assistant Principal, as appropriate, will make a final determination and within two (2) days of conducting the investigation, give verbal and written notice to the student, parent(s)/guardian(s) and the coach or advisor.