Board of Education Goals
- Analyze and review student data to drive our decisions of effectiveness of instructional programs.
- Attend workshops and conferences to better understand how to improve student achievement and keep up to date on new initiatives.
- Invite middle and high school principals to give biannual reports on structures to increase student achievement and graduation rates in each of their buildings.
- Review district’s Professional Development plans to prepare teachers for lesson delivery challenges in the future.
Social Emotional Wellness:
- Perform and analyze school climate surveys.
- Support physical, mental and emotional needs for all students and staff by providing necessary, appropriate resources for wellness programs and initiatives.
District and Community Engagements:
- Survey retirees and past graduates to gain knowledge as to what we do well and identify areas for improvement.
- Serve as liaisons on various school and community committees and report to whole Board of Education.
- Host community/school forums (both formal and informal) to improve communication and for idea exchange.
- Increase engagement with community groups that support our district.
- Increase visibility with our legislators to advocate for increase and equitable state budget funding.
- Continued involvement in analyzing the budget from beginning to end to uphold the mission and values of the school community.
- Analyze staffing numbers.
Board of Education
The West Seneca School District is governed by a seven-member Board of Education elected by qualified voters of the district.
Board members work together, and with stakeholders, in making decisions that best serve the students and accomplish the following:
- Create a shared vision for the future of education
- Set the direction of the school district to achieve the highest student performance
- Provide rigorous accountability for student achievement results
- Develop a budget and present it to the community, aligning district resources to improve achievement
- Support a healthy school district culture for work and learning
- Create strategic partnerships with the community stakeholders
- Build the district's progress through continuous improvement
- Adopt and maintain current policies
- Hire and evaluate the superintendent
- Ratify collective bargaining agreements
- Maintain strong ethical standards
Members are public officials who serve without pay for three-year terms. As our elected representatives and as officers of New York State, the board must carry out duties imposed by the state's Legislature, Board of Regents, and Commissioner of Education.
The school board has no legal or formal connection with any other local government body. Its functions are carried out through district officers, administrators, and personnel.
School District Clerk - Nicole C. Latza
-- Questions for the Board of Education --
may be emailed to the address below
*Please note that a limited number of agendas will be printed for the public. We encourage you to print a copy of the agenda and bring it with you to the meeting. Thank you.*
The Board of Education liaisons attend meetings as representatives of the board. Depending on the group, they listen, gather data, vote, and report back on the information shared at these meetings. Liaisonships aid the board members in having a better understanding in order to further progress the district in a positive direction.
BOE Meeting Location
Board of Education meeting location: District Office Board Room, 1397 Orchard Park Rd, West Seneca, NY 14224