Phone 677-3820 * Fax 677-3826
Welcome to the West Seneca Central Schools Transportation Information Site!
The transportation of students, from home to school and from school to home, is a major function of the school district operation. Approximately 10,000 district students are being transported to 108 different schools daily. It is clearly evident that the responsibility for maximum efficiency and safety is to be shared by all members of the community.
Motorists are advised to:
- Maintain a sensitivity to the presence of school buses on the highway.
- Exercise caution when approaching a school bus from either direction.
- Watch closely for signals given by the bus driver, including hand signals, amber lights, red lights, and turn signals. Remember: No traffic should move from either direction when red flashing lights on the bus are operating. This also includes when busses are loading and unloading at the school.
- Stop their vehicles when coming from either direction before reaching a stopped school bus, which has flashing red lights. Allow students to cross the road and wait until the flashing red lights are turned off.
- Be aware that school buses come to a full stop at railroad crossings.
- Prepare to stop when approaching from either direction, a school bus whose amber lights are flashing.
- Be aware that school buses do not turn right at intersections when the light is red.
Students are advised to:
- Be at the designated bus stop FIVE minutes before pickup time.
- Refrain from pushing, running, or "horseplay" while waiting or getting on or off the bus.
- Stand clear and away from the road at all times.
- Enter and leave the bus in an orderly manner.
- Use the handrail when getting on or off the bus.
- Remain seated after entering and while riding.
- Keep arms and head inside open windows.
- Keep legs, books, and other belongings out of the aisle.
- Keep conversations in a normal tone of voice; avoid boisterous conduct.
- Do not eat or drink on the bus.
- Cross the road at least 15 feet in front of the bus. Always look both ways and watch for the bus driver's signal before crossing.
- Do not play with safety equipment, including the emergency door and windows.
- Avoid bringing large objects or pets on the bus.
- No smoking at any time on the bus.
- Accept the authority and follow the instructions of the bus driver.
- Do not tamper with the belongings of other pupils.
- Never try to retrieve an object from underneath the bus.
Private, Charter and Parochial School Transportation
Transportation is provided, as required by law, to private, charter and parochial schools within a 15 mile radius of the student's home. Request forms for district transportation to these schools are available at our transportation office, Monday through Friday between 8:30am and 3:30pm. Forms are also available through this website by clicking on Transportation Services. All non-public school students who require transportation must submit a request on the proper school district form to the said offices no later than April 1st of each year.
Transportation to and from Child Care (Baby-Sitting) Locations -
A public or private school student may be picked up and/or dropped off at a day care location (baby-sitter) anywhere within the West Seneca Central School District with the following requirements:
- Request forms are provided at the Transportation Department Office, all District elementary school offices or can be downloaded by clicking on Transportation Services. Forms must be completed and returned to either the Transportation Department or the school by June 15th of each year prior to the school year for which transportation is requested.
- Parents and/or legal guardians must allow up to at least one week and wait for confirmation from the School District before permitting the student(s) to get picked up or dropped off from any address other than his/her residence.
- Pick up must be consistently at the same address five (5) days per week. No Exceptions. The A.M. and P.M. address may be different as long as it is consistent five (5) days per week.
- No new stops will be added. Students will be required to be picked up and dropped off at the nearest established stop.
- No new bus route will be established if the addition of that bus route will result in an additional expense to be incurred by the District.
Transportation will be provided to students who are enrolled in NEW YORK STATE LICENSED day care centers that are located in the West Seneca Central School District. Parents and/or legal guardians are advised to make sure that the day care centers they choose for the care of their children are fully licensed by the State of New York before transportation is requested.
Daily Bus Schedules -
Daily transportation is provided as required by board policy. Pickup times are routinely within a 10 minute window. It is recommended that your child arrive at the bus stop five minutes prior to the scheduled time. Please have children at their assigned stop and ready to board when the bus arrives. Children not at their designated stop will not be picked up. Buses cannot wait for children that are not at the designated stop, regardless of inclement weather conditions.
Exam Bus Schedules -
Bus schedules for exam time, both Mid-winter and final exams, operate at the normal AM and PM times. We also operate a dismissal bus from both high schools at 10:10am. Students that need transportation for PM exams will be picked up at their assigned stops during an 11:10am drop-off.