NYS Physical Education Learning Standards (2020)
New York State Learning Standards for Physical Education (adopted March 2020)
- Standard 1: Demonstrates competency in a variety of motor skills and movement patterns.
- Standard 2: Applies knowledge of concepts, principles, strategies, and tactics related to movement and performance.
- Standard 3: Demonstrates the knowledge and skills to achieve and maintain a health-enhancing level of physical activity and fitness.
- Standard 4: Exhibits responsible personal and social behavior that respects self and others.
- Standard 5: Recognizes the value of physical activity for overall wellness, enjoyment, challenge, and/or self-expression.
- Standard 6: Recognizes career opportunities and manages personal and community resources related to physical activity and fitness to achieve and maintain overall wellness.
The overall timeline for implementation (per NYSED) is as follows:
- Phase I: Raise Awareness (Fall 2020 – Fall 2021): Training on the new standards; awareness of the rollout timeline; statewide collaboration with the BOCES, school districts, professional organizations, and higher education
- Phase II: Build Capacity (Fall 2021 – Fall 2023): Guidance for local programs and curriculum development and additional standards resources and training
- Phase III: Full Implementation (Fall 2023 – ongoing): Full implementation of new standards
Provides the progression of physical education learning standards across grade levels from prekindergarten through high school.