Science 8 Course Outline
- Teacher: Mrs. Gianadda
- Room: 105
- Phone: 677 – 3530 x4470
- E -mail: email@example.com
What will we be learning about in 7th Grade?
The Living Environment
Organisms – Macro to Micro
The Human Body
- Lab Safety
- The Scientific Method
- Living and Non-living Things
- Life Functions
- Change Over Time
- Reproduction & Development
- Dynamic Equilibrium
- Organism Interaction
- Human Impact
- Human Body Systems
What will we be learning about in 8th Grade?
The Physical Setting
- Light and Sound
- Properties of Matter
- Physical and Chemical Changes
- Atoms and Elements
- Weather and Storms
- Earth's Interior and Earthquakes
- Geology and Volcanoes
- Forces and Motion
What will we need for class?
To be prepared for each and every class, please bring:
- Science Binder or Folder with prongs
- Pencil Case with Pens, Pencils, Colored Pencils, and Highlighter
- Loose-leaf Paper
What is expected of me?
As a student in this science class, it is expected that you will...
Come to class prepared and ready to start class when the period begins
Participate in class and laboratory activities
Complete and turn in all assignments and projects
Keep notebook current and organized
Ask for help when you need it
Study or review material frequently
Respect yourself, others, and property
Always try your best
How is my grade calculated?
This is how your grade will be calculated:
- Tests and Projects 50%
- Quizzes, Lab Reports and Graded Homework and Lab Reports 40%
- Homework and Participation 10%
Failure to complete homework will deprive you of an opportunity to reinforce what we learned in class and may result in consequences such as detention, or partial/loss of credit.
Quarter 1 = 20%
Quarter 2 = 20%
Quarter 3 = 20%
Quarter 4 = 20%
Final Exam = 20%
Final Average = 100%
What should I do if I am absent from class?
- Pick up necessary worksheets from the “While You Were Out” Bin.
- Turn in any assignments that were due during the time of your absence.
- Ask one of your responsible classmates to explain what you missed.
- Make an appointment with Mrs. G to go over assignments/notes that you do not understand.
- Sign up for after school “success” to make up missed work or assessments.
Is there anything else I need to know?
*Teacher Website – Visit Mrs. Gianadda’s website for news, homework, project info, links, etc.www.wscschools.org/webpages/egianadda Password: science8105
*Castle Learning – Online software with practice questions and vocab for each topic.
Log In: em._____________ (<--- west seneca school log in)
*CPO Earth Science and Physical Science Textbook
Choose the "Student Login" Tab
*NYS Science Assessment – This exam covers science material from Grades 5 – 8. It consists of a lab performance part and the written part. Both will be taken at the end of May/beginning of June.
*Study Skills – In order to improve or maintain your understanding of the material learned in class, it is important to review your notes and vocabulary at least 5-10 minutes everyday. Expect quizzes!