Grading & Homework Policies
How will I be graded?
General Grade Distribution
Tests and Major Projects...................................................... 50%
Quizzes and Minor Projects.................................................... 25%
Classwork (individual and group work)......................................... 15%
Meeting Expectations (completing homework, being prepared, etc.)....... 10%
What happens if I hand in my homework assignment late?
NOTE: Homework and projects are due at the beginning of class when you walk in the door!
Full credit will be given if it is 100% complete and represents quality work.
Partial credit may be given if it is less than 100% complete, is of poor quality, or late.
No credit will be given for work that was reviewed in class and handed in late.
**Homework extensions may be granted if special circumstances exist.
What if I get a poor grade on a major writing assignment or project?
You may choose to rewrite a major writing assignment or project to improve the grade. Your grade will be increased only if:
- You hand in the original graded paper and rubric with the rewritten paper, and
- Your revised paper demonstrates a deeper understanding of the assignment and/or a substantial improvement in the content.
**No extra credit will be given for simply correcting grammatical or spelling errors.
What if I am absent from class?
Before you return to school, go to Google Classroom and review the Daily Agendas for the days you are absent. This will tell you what you missed and what assignments were given.
When you return to school:
- Pick up the assignments and/or handouts you missed. It is YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to make up this work and ask questions if you don’t understand something.
- Hand in any assignment that was due while you were absent. It is YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to hand in work on a timely basis. I never want to hear a student say, "I didn’t hand it in because you didn’t ask me for it."
- If you missed a test or quiz, please see me immediately to schedule a time to make it up. Preferably, this will occur 1-2 days after your return and will be during a study hall/academic support or after school.
THE BEST WAY TO FIND OUT WHAT YOU MISSED OR WHAT YOU NEED TO COMPLETE AFTER AN ABSENCE IS TO REVIEW THE DAILY AGENDA ON GOOGLE CLASSROOM BEFORE YOU RETURN TO SCHOOL.
**IF YOU ARE ABSENT FOR TWO OR MORE DAYS, your parents can call the guidance office and make arrangements to pick up the work you missed. However, since I will be putting most handouts and assignments on Google Classroom, you should be able to get most of the information and work online. If possible, try to complete some work before returning to school.
**FOR VACATIONS OR OTHER PRE-ARRANGED, NON-ILLNESS RELATED ABSENCES, you will need to make up any missed schoolwork or homework when you return. I will not put together a packet of work for these absences. Instead, you should check Google Classroom for our Daily Agenda and complete the work you missed. Since you will be expected to promptly complete all the work you missed, you may be required to stay after school to catch up.