What is Speech and Language?
- Articulation-production of specific sounds
- Phonology-production of patterns of sounds (ex: beginning and ending sounds, sound clusters)
- Fluency/Stuttering-difficulty getting words out, repetition of whole words or part of words
- Receptive-understanding of language, includes following directions, understanding what a question is asking, understanding meaning of words and how they go together
- Expressive-use of language, includes putting words together to form a sentence, answering questions and using vocabulary appropriately, explaining word relationships, retelling events
- Processing-attaching meaning to incoming information and then formulating an appropriate response
- Pragmatics-social language, includes knowing what to say and saying it an appropriate time, reading nonverbal cues, making inferences, maintaining conversation